Duolingo is a free online tool to learn language. It teaches students through a series of mini-lessons and tracks their progress. Mini-lessons include skills across all 4 domains of language. Students can learn more than one language at a time!
- Students create an account and join my class:
- Students in my school have their own Chromebooks, but I also let them bring their phone to class because we have found that the speaking activities work better on their phone. If I see their phone at any other point during class, I take it directly to the office with no warning, so I have not had any problems yet!
- I let students use Duolingo when they finish other work early. This must be done on their computer though, not their phone. Phones can only be used during the first few minutes of class when I can monitor everyone.
- Encourage students to use headphones to cut down on the noise. The program speaks to them and has other sounds throughout.
- Options for prizes:
- Homework pass
- Sitting in the teacher chair or another “cool” chair
- Dollar store prizes